Senior Accountant, Compliance
Ballast Investments (“Ballast” or “The Company”) is seeking an experienced, dynamic, and professional Senior Accountant, Compliance to support the Compliance Accounting vertical. Under the general supervision of the Controller, the Senior Accountant, Compliance is responsible for overseeing a team of property accountants and accounting specialists throughout the process of preparation of the monthly, quarterly, and annual property financial reporting packages on an accrual-basis.
The Company is a vertically-integrated owner-operator of multifamily, student housing, and single family rental assets in the greater Western United States. The Company has several strategic partnerships with global institutional capital providers and has experienced strong growth since its founding in 2014.
Ballast employs over 170+ real estate professionals whose mission is to create value by acquiring, developing, and managing our dwellings with exceptional care through an integrated approach. Our culture is founded on teamwork, authenticity, integrity and excellence. Through a shared purpose and common goal, the organization is built to serve its partners and communities within which it invests.
- Mentor team of property accountant and accounting specialists during daily operations, monthly close process and preparation of financial statements and joint venture rollups to ensure accuracy of tenant data and financial statements and identify any corrections or training needed
- Train and mentor accounting team members
- Reconcile, investigate, and resolve accounting transactions related to financial statements
- Review complex accounting entries related to property acquisitions, dispositions, refinances, recapitalizations, cash flows and joint ventures
- Review financial reports for joint venture, lender, and third-party owners including cash analysis schedules, draw requests and other related documents
- Analyze bank reconciliations and cash deposits
- Evaluate and manage depreciation and amortization schedules
- Assess classification of capitalization, such as building improvements, tenant improvements, and repairs
- Examine ownership entity contributions/distributions in accordance with governing documents
- Work with accounting team and property managers to analyze tenant ledgers and resolve tenant questions
- Prepare monthly financial reports for review and submission for lender and investor reporting
- Prepare quarterly REIT compliance items
- Assist with reviewing year-end tax preparation and audit schedule preparation for assigned portfolios
- Read and understand legal agreements including operating agreements, management agreements, loan documents, leases, etc. and apply knowledge to property reporting.
- Become familiar with local rent control requirements and regulations
- Perform general accounting duties including data input, filing, scanning, and organizing information
- Other duties as assigned by the COO and Controllers
Minimum Requirements and Qualifications
- Associate degree in accounting or business required or equivalent classes from a 4-year college; High school diploma required
- Minimum 5 years or more accounting work experience
- 2+ years of experience as a senior property accountant or related position
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of products, Microsoft Windows
- Intermediate Excel skills required (filters, sorting, pivot tables, V lookup, etc.)
- Real estate and/or property management experience required
- Accounting software experience required; Yardi experience preferred
- Strong knowledge of GAAP rules and regulations preferred
Key Skills and Competencies
- Detail oriented and able to manage and post large volume of data with speed and accuracy
- Proven track record of successful planning, organization, and prioritization skills to meet tight deadlines
- Able to establish and maintaining efficient filing and records retention of financial documents
- Strong accounting background including familiarity with both general ledger and property level transactions
- Possesses excellent communication skills (verbal and written) with ability to communicate internally with team members as well as externally with vendors and other service providers
Ballast and its affiliates are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment, and we prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type based on race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. We are also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We thank all applicants who have applied however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.