The Company and its affiliates are looking for an experienced Manager, Maintenance to provide oversight of the day-to-day operations for the Company’s multifamily portfolio based in the San Francisco Bay Area. The Manager, Maintenance must be able to successfully manage a team of at least ten in-person and remote professionals, possesses strong leadership and multi-tasking skills, and has the ability to pivot during emergency situations and prioritize on the fly. This position requires an initiative-taking manager who has proven field knowledge and is enthusiastic to be part of and oversee a hard-working maintenance team that stives to maintain a best-in-class maintenance support staff for multifamily living.
The Company is a property management company focused upon managing residential apartment properties in the Bay Area. The Company seeks to attract and retain motivated real estate professionals in the Bay Area. The Company seeks to attract and retain motivated real estate professionals who love the unique local Bay Area culture.
At Ballast, we believe it is possible for renters to experience San Francisco’s old-world charm without having to endure the 70’s avocado fridge. We work hard to find historic apartment buildings in all the best San Francisco neighborhoods. Our architectural crew then carefully renovates each structure, restoring its unique characteristics, and builds modern amenities into the units. We believe living spaces should have integrity and are deeply committed to our tenants.
- Manage up to 20 in house maintenance technicians
- Monitor and improve the entire repair and maintenance process including tenant work order intake, internal systems, work order execution, and internal/external reporting
- Prioritize and assist with scheduling of all maintenance work order requests and follow-up upon completion
- Manage all emergency services after hours with Director of Construction
- Escalate resident relation issues to the Property Operations Communications team
- Inspect buildings to assure properly functioning equipment upon request of Property Managers
- Oversee work order reporting to ensure data integrity and improve performance
- Add value by optimizing and reducing repair and maintenance expenses
- Order parts, materials and maintain stock and inventory control
- Supervise and direct multiple maintenance technician and maintenance coordinators
- Ensure compliance with all governmental codes, ordinances, and regulations
- Coordinate and review tenant feedback reviews
Minimum Requirements and Qualifications
- High school graduate or equivalent required
- Minimum 5 years experience in maintenance of residential building or similar community required
- Minimum 2 years of field supervisory experience required
- College education or trade school with emphasis in trades, covering maintenance procedures and practices preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering / management field preferred
- Bi-lingual in English/Spanish preferred
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite of products (Word, Excel, Outlook, MS Project) and the ability to quickly learn inventory control, preventative maintenance and human resources information system software programs and the use of a Smartphone
- Knowledge of Yardi Maintenance and Happy Task software tracking systems desired but not required
- Possess thorough working knowledge of electrical, carpentry, plumbing, flooring, heating, windows and doors, and other related trade fields is required
- Past multifamily real estate maintenance experience is preferred
Key Skills and Competencies
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) and must be able to maintain effective tracking and storage of documentation
- Experience in skilled trades and general understanding of building codes
- Well-rounded knowledge of practices, tools, equipment, methods and materials used in maintenance
- Ability to comply with work safety practices and guidelines relating to asbestos and industrial chemicals
- Solid track record of supervisory and managerial skills to plan and assign work, motivate employees and provide work leadership
- Capability to work autonomously with little guidance
- Practices sound judgment skills to assess needs and determine appropriate course of action in emergency situations
- Proven ability to safely handle all workshop and maintenance equipment, including power and hand tools and both freestanding and extension ladders
- Physical skills and ability to perform work that requires continual standing, walking, stooping, bending and lifting up to 50 pounds
Ballast and its affiliates are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment, and we prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type based on race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. We are also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We thank all applicants who have applied however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.