Ballast Investments (“Ballast” or “The Company”) is seeking an Accountant, MEC to support the MEC Accounting vertical. Under the general supervision of the Accounting Manager, MEC, the Accountant, MEC is responsible for the financial oversight of the general ledger activity related to the real estate assets under management. This accountant will be primarily responsible for overseeing several GL account reconciliations and the preparation of several journal entries.
The Company is a vertically-integrated owner-operator of multifamily, student housing, and single family rental assets in the greater Western United States. The Company has several strategic partnerships with global institutional capital providers and has experienced strong growth since its founding in 2014.
Ballast employs over 170+ real estate professionals whose mission is to create value by acquiring, developing, and managing our dwellings with exceptional care through an integrated approach. Our culture is founded on teamwork, authenticity, integrity and excellence. Through a shared purpose and common goal, the organization is built to serve its partners and communities within which it invests.
- Review, update, and reconcile multiple general ledger schedules, on a monthly basis, to ensure account schedules both support and tie to the general ledger
- Research and resolve certain carryforward balance sheet transactions in a timely manner
- Prepare and enter routine journal entries into Yardi. Which may include: amortizations, reclasses, accruals, and true-ups
- Assist with preparing and/or reviewing the accounting department’s SOPs
- Obtain accurate support for interim/annual audit requests
- Address any financial discrepancies, discovered and communicated by compliance or management, by preparing timely correcting journal entries
- Aid the MEC Accounting Manager with special projects and other tasks as assigned
Minimum Requirements and Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting required
- 2 years or more of accounting work experience required
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills required (filters, sorting, pivot tables, V lookup, etc.)
- Real estate and/or property management experience a plus
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of products
- Yardi experience preferred
- Strong knowledge of GAAP rules and regulations preferred
Key Skills and Competencies
- Detail-oriented and able to manage large volumes of data with speed and accuracy
- Ability to work independently, in a remote setting, by utilizing company-provided resources, and critical thinking skills, to help complete tasks
- Proven ability to plan, organize, and prioritize workload to meet financial reporting deadlines
- Possesses accounting background/education including familiarity with both general ledger and property-level transactions
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) with the ability to communicate internally with team members
Ballast and its affiliates are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment, and we prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type based on race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. We are also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We thank all applicants who have applied however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.