The Company has long standing strategic partnerships with a few global financial institutions. These partnerships have enabled the Company to become a “best in class” vertically integrated, owner-operator of residential assets spanning four main investment strategies across the West Coast: multifamily, single-family rental, student housing and manufactured housing.
Reporting to the Investments Team, the Investment Associate will assist the team leader with underwriting new acquisition opportunities, running scenarios on recapitalizations, and other investment activities such as: modeling, financing, due diligence, and site tours. This position requires outstanding quantitative acumen and strong communication skills.
Additionally, this position may have asset management responsibilities that include capital partner and lender reporting, leasing optimization, cost reduction initiatives and ROI analyses to aid in renovation scope decision making. The role will require a candidate with experience monitoring operational performance, establishing individual and property level goals, and seeing underwritten business plans through to fruition.
- Analyze low and medium density residential real estate investment opportunities across any one of the firm’s four investment strategies
- Create investment memoranda to summarize analytic findings for senior management
- Support the Investments Team to determine optimal capital structures for any given investment
- Update quarterly market research trackers on financial markets for analyzing competitive trends, macroeconomic data and supply/demand analysis
- Perform property-level due diligence and review sale and rent comparables by asset and market
- Develop complex financial and valuation models and track underwriting against annual pro-formas
- Handle financial analyses, including performance tracking models, lease evaluation models and hold/sell analyses
- Assist in planning, budgeting, leasing and capital improvement initiatives
- Assemble, analyze and track asset and portfolio-level financial performance
- Gather diligence data and analyzing return on capital investment initiatives
- Create content for annual and quarterly reports to investors and annual strategic plans
- Conduct and communicate in-depth market research internally and externally
Minimum Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business, Finance, Accounting, Real Estate, Economics, or related field
- 3-5 years of real estate private equity, real estate development, or investment banking
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, Argus, and PowerPoint
- Strong analytical skills and exceptional written and oral communications skills
Key Skills and Competencies
- Project management skills and creativity are critical for success in this role
- Critical thinker that can contribute collaboratively and brainstorm toward a positive outcome
- Able to succeed in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects with competing priorities
- Drive and passion for low and medium density scattered-site residential investing
Ballast and its affiliates are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment, and we prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type based on race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. We are also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We thank all applicants who have applied however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.