Accounting Manager, Compliance
The Company is seeking an Accounting Manager, Compliance to support our rapidly growing team.
Under general supervision of the Assistant Controller of Compliance, the Accounting Manager, Compliance is responsible for overseeing a team of accountants in the preparation of the monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting packages on an accrual-basis. The Accounting Manager of Compliance will be responsible for the overall books, records and the preparation and review of financial statements and reporting to both lender and investors. This role will oversee the Compliance department functions with a focus on ensuring the timely and accurate delivery of recording, analysis, and reporting.
The Company is a vertically integrated owner-operator of multifamily assets in San Francisco and Berkeley. The Company has several strategic partnerships with global institutional capital providers and has experienced unprecedented growth since being founded in 2014.
At Ballast, our team of 170+ passionate employees are careful stewards of capital and preservers of communities where we work and live. Our culture is founded on teamwork, accountability, and a shared purpose to create value for our investors and communities. Above all, we value unique perspectives and integrity.
- Review, and analyze quarterly financial statement preparation on a GAAP basis for all entities to ensure accuracy and completeness
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the general ledger structure.
- Manage and assist with interim/annual audit with external auditors’
- Provide tax oversight – ensuring completion of company’s tax filing and providing information to tax providers
- Assist with coordination with external auditors on quarterly REIT compliance
- Facilitate documentation and streamline of current practices and procedures; make recommendations for process improvements
- Monitor and analyze work to develop more efficient procedures while maintaining a high level of accuracy
- Reconcile, investigate, and resolve accounting transactions related to financial statements
- Train and mentor accounting team members and provide periodic performance reviews
- Oversee documentation for year-end tax preparation and annual financial statements prepared by outside accountants
- Prepare, review and process periodic corporate tax reports and payments
- Read and understand legal agreements including operating agreements, management agreements, loan documents, leases, etc. and apply knowledge to reporting
- Other duties as assigned by Assistant Controller and Executive Management
Minimum Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business required or equivalent classes from a 4-year college
- Minimum 5 years or more accounting work experience
- 3+ years of experience as a general ledger accountant or related position
- 2+ years of management experience
Key Skills and Competencies
- Detail oriented and able to manage and post large volume of data with speed and accuracy
- Able to plan, organize, and prioritize workload to meet deadlines
- Ability to accurately research and follow through on complex problem-solving items, as well as initiate resolutions.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage, prioritize, and effectively meet deadlines working on multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Strong accounting background including extensive experience with general ledger and entity level transactions
- Possesses leadership skills with dedication to driving and achieving results
- Exceptional communication skills (verbal and written) with ability to communicate internally with team members as well as externally with vendors and other service providers
- Solid computer skills including proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of products and Microsoft Windows
- Intermediate Excel skills required (filters, sorting, pivot tables, V lookup, etc.)
- Real estate and/or construction and/or property management experience required
- Accounting software experience required; Yardi experience preferred
- Knowledge of Tax and GAAP rules and regulations preferred
Ballast Investments is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment, and we prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type based on race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. Ballast Investments is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We thank all applicants who have applied however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.